John Hill & Co / Johillco

John Hill & Company, or Johillco, was started in 1898 by F.H.Wood, a former employee of W.Britain. No one seems to know where the John Hill name came from. The original factory was in Britannia Row, Islington, north London but, having been bombed during the second world war, was relocated to Burney when it reopened under new management in 1946.

It is widely accepted that Johillco figures were the closest in style and accuracy to Britains, but painted with a little less detail, and usually in a slightly larger size than their Britains counterpart. Johillco figures were the first to be sold individually, rather than the boxed sets originally favoured by Britains, and were therefore more accessible to the working classes. Johillco were lte converting their production, only beginning to make plastic figures from their hollowcast moulds in 1956 under the brand name of Hilco, but this was not successful and the company ceased trading in the early 1960s.







1 2 3 5 Next »